Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Another update




Well, I never said that I would be consistent! A lot has happened since our last entry:

Summer:
Matthew worked at Rona and we diligently updated our home with the following reno projects: re-finishing and staining our wood floors in both upstairs bedrooms; painting our bedroom and putting in baseboards; painting and putting up moulding in our hallway; installing a fan, light switch, and vanity light in our bath room, as well as a paint job in there; painting the living room; and installing carpet downstairs in both bedrooms and the den-like area.
Since I had no kids to babysit except Ethan, we had a great time going on walks and swimming during the day. To every one's surprise, Ethan really loved the water this summer, so Matt and I are a bit more dedicated to our family date nights at the pool now. Asides from the Branch camp out, we really didn't leave home much at all--it's crazy just how fast two months can go by.

September:




  • Employment: After much prayer, Matt went down for an interview in Parksville for a full-time Spanish job teaching grades 9-12. We were all set for the long-distance thing, but after the interview we knew it simply was not the right move. With faith Matt put his name on the substitute teachers list and hoped that somehow we would be able to pay our mortgage. After two weeks, a tech job was posted for the school district, and, although not exactly qualified, Matt applied anyway. They were excited to have a teacher interested in the position because it requires teaching the teachers how to use the tech systems, and Matt was more than happy to accept it! He LOVES the job and I'm sure feels super cool with his company Blackberry and all of the perks he's getting, although I've already claimed the ipod. I'm now babysitting full time for Lisa, and Ethan is really enjoying his friend Rachel's company. Over the summer I could tell he was getting pretty bored of me, so this has been a great change and they are both as cute as ever!


  • Family: Pregnancy this time around has been great. I'm almost at week 35 (of 37-41 full term) and I still find enough energy for walks with the kids thanks to a great double stroller my parents got for me. Overall, we are loving the peace of mind this job provides and are looking forward to the new arrival.


  • Church: Matt is still branch president! We've made it almost one full year now, and the time really has gone by quickly. We are lamenting the loss of the Simmonds family to Calgary since we both lost councillors. Seminary has started again for the year and with our adapted schedule (Monday, Wednesday, Friday class with Tuesday & Thursday homestudy) I've managed to have enough energy to fulfill my Young Women's calling too- I hope at least. This weekend is General Conference and I am especially looking forward to it this time around.


  • Life: Well, dinner awaits and I have three babies and Stephen here, so hopefully soon I can write another update.


3 comments:

Rita Peck said...

Loved to hear how things are going. Congrats to Matt on the job. Sounds like he will have fun. Financial security is so nice. Good luck with the coming weeks. Hope you guys are going to the reunion this summer so that I can see your new baby. Ethan is going to be all grown up.

Palmer Family said...

Ash- Ethan is one of the most photogenic kids. You are a great mom! Don't forget it and you are doing a great job in both callings!
Thanks for taking Emily the other day. Sorry about the mixup about pick up. I thought Landon had told you I had a meeting till 5pm. You are awesome!

Luscher Family said...

good to hear things are going well for you, I had heard about Matt being on the TOC list but not the recent update.

Only a couple of weeks to go until the new arrival, hope that goes well.

Can't wait to hear more